Saturday, November 17, 2007

Harvest of Words

"Harvest" is such a rich word, isn't it? One though that I think has lost much of its richness in our 21st century world. When I was growing up, my mother always had a vegetable garden. I remember those lazy days in the summer, grazing in the garden - picking a handful of peas and sitting on the grass to pop them open and eat them or tugging up the biggest looking carrot and washing it with the garden hose - or maybe just wiping it off on the grass - and munching away.

I suppose we had a kind of a harvest at the end of the year - digging potatoes, picking squash. It wasn't really a true harvest though - the garden was wonderful, but a kind of a luxury, not really a necessity, not the kind of thing we all toiled as a family over from spring through summer. Not the kind of thing we labored to gather in and store for the winter. We're not really used to that kind of seasonal labor, the kind of seasonal labor that's necessary to produce the food we need to survive. I'm not sure that I wish for that kind of hard life again, but I do regret that certain kinds of language lose a certain resonance and joy when they become merely abstract, merely things tied to the past. I suppose that's partly what I love about literature - language is kept alive, language comes alive, makes us remember, remember even the things we've never experienced.

I've been listening to the poet Seamus Heaney read Beowulf this week in bits and pieces (my way of protesting the movie) - and the language is amazing. It's a poem that ought to be listened to, not read and struggled over - most poems ought to be listened to, I suppose. My sisters-in-law have a tradition of inviting several couples over for a Harvest Dinner each autumn - they serve a meal and ask everyone to bring a reading or a poem. We're not quite used to reading poems aloud, are we? It felt a little awkward, but I wish we were a culture that could reacquaint itself with that habit. To hear each other's voices, to savor our language, its sounds, its meanings. It's a way of connecting with one another, connecting with our past, with our present. I love words.

Here is a poem for you:

And yet the books will be there on the shelves, separate beings,
That appeared once, still wet
As shining chesnuts under a tree in autumn,
And, touched, coddled, began to live
In spite of fires on the horizon, castles blown up,
Tribes on the march, planets in motion.
"We are," they said, even as their pages
Were being torn out, or a buzzing flame
Licked away their letters. So much more durable
Than we are, whose frail warmth
Cools down with memory, disperses, perishes.
I imagine the earth when I am no more:
Nothing happens, no loss, it's still a strange pageant,
Women's dresses, dewy lilacs, a song in the valley.
Yet the books will be there on the shelves, well born,
Derived from people, but also from radiance, heights.
--Czeslaw Milosz

5 comments:

heather said...

Good thoughts, i enjoyed reading, and thinking about this.

happy harvest and Autumn season too you.

heather said...

oh also i wanted to say, i love to listen to Seamus Heaney read Beowulf it makes my stomach do little flips it is so amazing the way the words seem to keep a perfect cadence while painting a more than complete picture of stuff thats happening.... i can't do it justice by my explanation but maybe you know what i mean. I have been telling people to listen to it any time they mention the movie.

The "I" Blog - Melissa said...

Thanks for your comments, Heather - I have kind of the same reaction when I listen to Heaney read that poem - I do know exactly what you mean. I'm glad you're doing what I'm doing in regards to the movie - even if we only win a few converts, well, it will be something.

Danelle said...

You are such an mazing writer, the way words just roll onto the paper, the poem you found and shared was touching. Thanks for sharing.

The "I" Blog - Melissa said...

Thank-you, Danelle! That's really nice to hear.